Sunday, September 30, 2012

Logistics – boring sh!te and background to get out of the way



Which coast and to where?

The Coast to Coast walk is an approximately 200 mile walk across the narrowest stretch of England (note I am cycling it I think I’d get bored walking for 2 weeks). This route was first made famous by Alfred Wainright in his 1974 book “A Coast to Coast Walk”. The traditional route takes you from St Bees on the Irish Sea to Robin Hoods Bay on the North Sea. You can of course go the opposite way but for practical reasons alone the East-West route is more popular as you get favourable winds (tail vs head). Boring fact but there has to be some in here.

Because cyclists are masochistic types they decided to start riding the Coast to Coast. Not satisfied with riding a smilar walking route (far too easy), the cycling community mapped out a seriously daunting 4-7 day trek covering 268 miles of some of the toughest terrain the UK has to offer.

Timing is essential

Everyone knows that the UK is not famous for its all year round perfect weather. In fact the North of England where the Coast to Coast traverses the country has some pretty wet, bleak and windy weather at times of the year. Ideally you’d want to ride this in July during the height of the Northern Hemisphere summer. Ideals are just that though. Due to my impetuousness and generally spontaneous nature I’ve decided to attempt the Coast to Coast in October. Almost half way to winter. I like a good challenge. Considering I landed in the UK on June 20thfollowing a year of travelling covering South and Central America and a ski season in Whistler, amongst other hijinks, 3 months to plan, prepare and train for the Coast to Coast is a fair old challenge.

So that’s a loose outline of what I am aiming to achieve and in what sort of timeframe. I could bore you with more details of route planning, accommodation and other necessary arrangements but I won’t. Go and treat yourself. Have a tommy tank or something with the time I saved you just now.

No comments:

Post a Comment